Garden Party: Small Victories

Week 5

Some small victories and one goodbye to celebrate this week.  First, the smart zucchini grew by leaps and bounds this week:

Sadly, the wild zucchini were discovered by the cows and eaten in three days. I guess we will have to wait for the new plants to produce now.

Alas, the wild zucchini were discovered by the cows and eaten in three days. I guess we will have to wait for these plants to produce now.

Hurray for the lettuce patch. I finally figured out which plants were lettuce:

W5lettuce

Well, that doesn’t look too bad. Just get rid of those weeds…

A better view of the full extent of the lettuce bed weed problem.

A better view of the full extent of the lettuce bed weed problem.

Removing all of those nettles and sundry intruders was thorny work but worth it.

W5lettuce2

I know I planted more lettuce seeds than this, but maybe all those weeds were holding them back. I can hope, because that butter lettuce looks yummy!

The beets and the cauliflower are coming along well, though they are a lesson in thinning. I have run out of space to transplant cauliflower, so they will have to fight it out in the back three rows. And I did not plant enough of the beets. Oh well, they will be few but mighty.

I found a better use for my tacky garden ornaments- pinning and lifting the netting.

Cauliflower on the left, beets on the right. I found a better use for my tacky garden ornaments- pinning and lifting the netting.

Apparently the drip system has some (extra) leaks:

Perhaps it is an overspray problem? Might have to start mowing that grass.

Perhaps it is an overspray problem? Might have to start mowing that grass.

Reminder of how it looked when I started.

Reminder of how it looked when I started.

Meanwhile, in the original melon bed on the other side of the ranch…

Two little melons taking shape.

Two little melons taking shape.

In the same patch of ground, this scrappy fellow is hanging in there and making a little color statement:

redroseinmelons

I planted this rose here after pulling it out of my rose bed. I could not bring myself to just toss it. I think that makes me a rose hoarder.

The gardener had deemed that rose a “sucker,” a rose that would not produce flowers and just suck the nutrition out of the ground, harming its neighbors. It only produced one little bloom last season, so I gave up on it and banished it to the melon bed. Apparently all it wanted was a stage to shine on. I didn’t exactly set it up in an ideal spot but it clearly intends to survive and be seen.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s